Fall is my favorite. Probably not groundbreaking news to share, but to me it’s the best season. Being in Vermont, we’re treated to a slightly longer fall because it gets cooler here faster than it does in Rhode Island. Waking up to 40 and 50 degree mornings has me thinking about fall fashion and I’m already curating my fall wardrobe. That crisp fall air and changing foliage outside my window has me extra excited for sweater and boot weather. I find fall the easiest season to dress for, because I love layering. And I can’t get enough of cozy sweaters, jackets and fall boots.
It also feels a bit different this year. Between motherhood and Covid I haven’t focused on my wardrobe as much. And we just weren’t really going anywhere the last few years. It finally feels like we have a little bit of normalcy and whether it’s birthday parties, girls nights, date nights or just getting dressed for the work day I’m ready to create a wardrobe I love again.
I’m going through a bit of a process with my wardrobe so I thought I’d share my approach, my must-haves, and what trends I’m excited for this fall.
How I’m Curating My Fall Wardrobe
A Big Closet Clean Out
I’ve been procrastinating doing a big closet clean out but before I start adding new things I need to decide what’s staying and what’s going. I haven’t done one since long before Marin was born and I am WAY overdue. I still have a lot of things that either don’t fit or I’m just not going to wear sitting in my closet taking up space. On my to do list over the next week is a big closet overhaul to go through all my fall/winter stuff. And decide what I’m going to keep and what I’m going to donate/sell/give to friends. It will help me have a much better idea of what gaps I want to fill too, instead of buying things without knowing exactly what I have first.
I actually feel pretty good about my fall wardrobe basics. I’ve been adding them to my wardrobe over the last few years and I’ve found pieces from specific brands that I really like. Looking back at the first Capsule Wardrobe I shared a few years ago, I’m happy to report that I still have everything in that post. I thought I’d share my basics first (which I’ve seen talked about as a “fall trend” which is kind of funny). Then I’ll talk about sweaters, outerwear, shoes, etc. My basics are what I would consider my “core wardrobe” or the foundation. And then the rest are what complete my outfits.
My wardrobe basics
- White Tee: My favorite is from Sézane. It’s super soft, organic cotton, washes well and fits slightly oversized.
- Long Sleeve Tee: Great for layering or wear on its own. The one from my ABLE collection has a button front henley style, slightly oversized fit for a relaxed vibe that also looks polished with a sweater or blazer. Use code JAK15 for 15% off.
- Button Down Shirt: You can’t go wrong with a classic white button down (love this one), but my favorite is the AYR Deep End shirt in blue and white stripe. It’s just the perfect blue, looks great tucked or loose, and has an oversized fit (size down). Looks great with jeans, under a blazer, with leggings and a big cardigan.
- Tissue Turtleneck: I know turtlenecks aren’t for everyone but I love them. My favorites are the tissue turtlenecks from Madewell, especially the stripe. I noticed one of my favorite brands for basics Pact just came out with them so I’m tempted to try theirs.
- Straight Leg or Boyfriend Jeans: I’ve had my AG Isabelle straight leg jeans for years and they are still my favorites. The wash has been updated but 13 years wembly is pretty close to what I have. I also love the CQY Icon Vice (I go a size up in their jeans).
- Straight Leg Trousers: Really love the straight leg pants from my ABLE collection and I am in full support of wearing white after Labor Day. Use code JAK15 for 15% off.
- Slip Dress: One of the pieces I was most excited about designing with ABLE. I love a midi slip dress for fall and winter. You can layer it with a tee or turtleneck underneath or wear a sweater/blazer over (or both). I went one size down. Use code JAK15 for 15% off.
Sweaters and Outerwear
Probably no surprise here, sweaters and coats are my favorite thing about fall. I definitely need to go through my sweater collection and figure out what I’m keeping and what needs to go, but here’s what I’m excited about wearing and some newly added pieces.
striped cotton sweater
I love seeing all of the striped cotton sweaters for fall and maybe should have anticipated my Marin sweater with ABLE would be a popular one because it sold out in most sizes the first day (we are working on bringing it back!). This is another style from Sezane that I love.
I can’t get enough of the quilted Nora jacket from my ABLE collection. It’s so soft, has the perfect slightly faded vintage wash and is very comfy. It’s great for layering and comes in two colors. Use code JAK15 for 15% off.
I’ve had my Barbour jacket for years and it’s still a favorite in my wardrobe. The quality is impeccable and the style never gets old for me. I sized up in mine so I’d have room for layering sweaters underneath.
I am a huge fan of a camel coat because it just pulls together any outfit whether you’re wearing leggings and sneakers or a dress and booties. It’s probably my favorite piece of outerwear as evidence by the multiple styles I have hanging in my closet. Summersalt makes a gorgeous cocoon style coat and Boden has a tailored version this season that’s so chic.
I got this denim shacket from Sezane over the summer but it’s absolutely perfect for fall. It’s on the thicker side and slightly oversized which makes it great for layering over a dress, sweater or turtleneck. You could throw a vest on over it too.
Shoes and Boots
My fall shoe wardrobe hasn’t changed much with the exception of a few additions. I have my go-to Sam Edelman Loraine loafer in saddle, ankle boots with a block heel (go half size up, code JAK15 for 15% off), lace-up shearling boots and my Blundstone Chelsea Boots. I love my Converse for fall too. For this season I’m into the clog trend and especially my slides from my ABLE collab and these heeled clogs with a strap from M. Gemi. I also really want to try these lug sole brown leather waterproof boots but need to evaluate my closet first.
I’m not one to jump on trends that much, but I always appreciate the resurgence of styles that speak to me. There’s a lot of fall trends this season that are just not for me (chunky loafers, hot pink, super oversized pants/jeans) but there’s plenty I love (updated prep, clogs, stripe sweaters, maxi dresses/skirts). Here’s a few favorites and how I plan to incorporate them into my wardrobe.
I’ve seen a lot of different takes on the preppy trend for fall. I gravitate towards the more minimalist styles like button downs and the updated take on the polo like this ribbed style from Faherty or this cashmere polo sweater. I love seeing so many blazers too which is a definitely closet staple for me, especially in a classic navy or camel. My favorite loafers definitely have a preppy look to them too.
I really like the clog trend and I’m happy to see them making a comeback. My slides from my ABLE collab are a more casual take on clogs, very comfy and great for everyday wear. These heeled clogs with a strap from M. Gemi are really fun and chic too.
I’m pretty sure if I could go back in time and raid my Mom’s 90s closet there would definitely be some sweater vests in there. I’m all in on this trend and there are so many styles I really like. I ordered this one from Madewell and I have my eye on this one from Sezane.
I did not intend for this post to be so long but I got a little carried away so congrats if you made it this far. I just can’t get enough of this season and the fashion that goes with it. Are you excited for fall? What are you excited to wear this season and do you have anything on your wardrobe wish list? Let me know! Need help styling something? Let me know in the comments.
Disclosure: if you buy something through the links on this blog, we may earn an affiliate commission. We only feature products we would personally recommend. Thank you for your support.