Feels like the right time to re-share one of my many favorite mezcal margarita recipes for Cinco de Mayo. Honestly I never thought I’d like mezcal but when I first tried it a few years ago in a margarita with lots of citrus juices I absolutely loved it. I’m not a big drinker but it’s one of the only alcohols I drink when I’m having a cocktail and one of the few that doesn’t give me a massive headache. The great thing about mezcal cocktails is that there are so many delicious combinations and you can really get creative without needing fancy ingredients. I love using citrus because it’s the perfect flavor to balance the smokiness of mezcal. Even if you don’t think you like mezcal, try it this way, I can almost promise you’ll change your mind!
Honestly I just use whatever we have, it doesn’t have to be precise, go with what you like. This is just as good sans mezcal if you’re in the mood for a mocktail and I LOVE using Kombucha in place or in addition to seltzer. If you try this cocktail and love it let me know. Cheers.
Citrus Mezcal Margarita
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2-2.5 oz Mezcal (two of our favorites are Casamigos and Montelobos)
- orange juice (either fresh squeezed from oranges or bottled)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 3/4 can spindrift seltzer (I switch it up, for this one I used strawberry)
- pink himalayan salt (optional for salted rim)
- crushed ice
- Combine 1/4 cup orange juice, juice from 1 lemon, 1 lime, mezcal and crushed ice and shake in cocktail shaker.
- Add seltzer and stir.
- Line rim of glasses using a lime wedge and dip into a dish of ground salt.
- Pour cocktail into glasses and add more ice as needed.
- Cheers and enjoy!
Disclosure: if you buy something through the links on this blog, we may earn an affiliate commission. We only feature products we would personally recommend. Thank you for your support.