PHOTOGRAPHY BY CRAIG MACKAY
Crown braids are nothing new, but they’re typically associated with music festivals and bohemian fashion. The perfect hairstyle for summer (especially those hot and sticky nights when you want your hair off your neck) it’s a beautiful option for a black tie wedding. I’ve teamed up with Jennie Kay Beauty to share a crown braid tutorial that’s perfect for those fancy summer parties and weddings. See the full black tie wedding outfit here.
1. Grab pie section of hair at the crown and tease with teasing comb.
2. Starting in the back of the head braid upward around side of head. Where you start should depend on the length of your hair. If your hair is longer start at the opposite ear. The farther over you start the bigger the braid will be.
3. Use tail comb to grab sections of hair to incorporate into braid as you go upward around the front of the head.
4. Continue the braid at an angle, moving upward towards the forehead grabbing sections as you go (french braid style).
5. Leave out a few pieces as you braid towards the front.
6. Continue braiding around the entire head, grabbing sections as you. When there are no sections left, finish braiding hair.
7. Use hair wax to help hold the ends of the braid in place. For layered hair you can use more wax to keep strands in place.
8. Secure the end of the braid with a small elastic.
9. Lightly tug on the braid to loosen.
10. Wrap remaining braid up around head and pin in place, tuck slightly underneath braided section to hide elastic.
10. Continue to lightly pull apart braid to loosen.
11. Lightly curl loose hairs with a wand or curling iron.
Disclosure: if you buy something through my links, I may earn an affiliate commission. Thank you for your support of this blog.