I wasn’t planning on posting my goals until next Monday but I woke up with so much on my mind I just decided to sit down and start writing. Please don’t feel rushed by my sharing these today, I want all of you to take the time until next Monday (or longer if you need it) to think about what you want to focus on this year. Honestly I’m still feeling a bit sluggish and taking my time getting into my groove. There’s so much pressure to be ready to hit the ground running January 1. I’m not ready. Sorry, the holidays are exhausting, I have a lot of things for 2018 I am really excited about but it’s not all gonna happen this week and I am ok with that. Don’t punish yourself for not getting to the gym yet or not eating healthy or having NO idea what your goals are for this year. You’ll get there, trust me, go easy on yourself. And this leads me to my overarching theme for 2018: balance. Every year I choose a word or idea as my theme. It sets the tone for the year and makes it easier for me to think about and set goals. I’ve seen this word tossed around a lot lately, and I think it’s because we are all craving a bit of balance. My personal life and work are pretty much almost indistinguishable at this point. For the last four years I’ve just made excuses and chalked it up to “building my business.” But this summer I hit a breaking point and I was so frigging burnt out. This year I’ve also decided to attach some timing to my goals, instead of starting everything today, I’m writing it all down now with the intention of focusing on certain things throughout the year (partially so I can align this with the #JAKWellness12 Challenge). If you guys have already written down your goals feel free to share in the comments. If not, that’s ok too.
Overarching theme/goal: Balance
- Consistently post a minimum of 3x/week (M,W,F). From the Instagram poll I did a few days ago most people indicated they preferred a 3 post/week schedule (feel free to chime in but this seems like a good approach).
- Increase lifestyle and career focused content
- Create content with “hero” pieces that can be worn multiple ways (at least once a month)
- Create home decor/reno content (at least once a month)
- Finish and Launch Newport Travel Guide (yay!)
- Instagram – Grow following to 125k by July 2018 and 140k by year end. Instagram growth has become even more challenging with the algorithm changes, etc. but I am really focused on growing this channel (the honest way). In 2017 I was able to grow my following by 25k so I think I can hit these targets.
- More Instagram Lives (committing to one per month)
- Balanced approach to DMs. I love connecting with all of you on Instagram, truly, but I need to be better about managing my time and I can’t realistically keep up my response times at the rate I’m going right now. I still plan to respond to everyone but it’s not going to be right away.
- Youtube– Create at least 1 video/week – This is a lofty one but I am really determined to do this.
- Launch a podcast before the end of Q1 – I am SO excited about this.
- Travel content – Goal of one trip/month with travel guide to follow
- Monthly beauty product round-up of what I used and loved (and didn’t)
- Follow a schedule – This was my main goal for last year and for the most part I failed, miserably. I don’t think following a 9-5 schedule is realistic for me, but I’m going to try and focus on actually having a weekend this year and allowing myself some personal/vacation days.
- “Finish” the house and submit for a feature on a home decor site.
- Physical – Commit to physical activity every day. Even if it’s only 20 minutes, everyday doing something to clear my mind and get my blood flowing.
- Commit to taking one class per week (barre, cycling, yoga, etc). I know it’s probably not realistic for me to achieve more than this but at least one a week is a good start.
- Stretchy for at least 10 minutes everyday (I can’t even touch my toes right now, seriously).
- Increase use of clean beauty products – skincare and makeup.
- Savings – Set aside 15% of income into a savings account. This was another goal from last year that I did not achieve. Buying a house sort of threw a wrench in that but now I feel an even bigger sense of urgency to have a savings cushion.
- Increase contribution to 401k plan (will focus on this in Q3).
- Nutrition – I tried the vegan thing and it was just not for me (huge props to those of you who are, it’s not easy). This year I am focusing on better and healthier eating.
- Increase water consumption. At least 4 full glasses per day.
- Eat out less, limit eating out/ordering out to once per week (this is going to be hard honestly).
- Try a new (healthy) recipe once a week.
- Grow our own veggies (we are going to get a jump start on this in the spring and try to grow all our own veggies for the entire summer).
- Charity/Volunteering – This was a big goal for me last year and I really didn’t do as much as I wanted. I’m going to pick at least one organization to focus on this year and commit to volunteering time and resources.
- Mental Health
- Meditate – (Starting this in Q2)
- Read more (my goal is a book a month, my Mom also got me a New Yorker subscription for my birthday so I’m excited to get that going again)
- Reduce waste – This was something we focused on last year and I want to up our game in 2018. I plan on making this a part part of the wellness challenge but a few things we’re doing to get started
- No plastic straws – they are a huge contributor to unnecessary waste and pollution
- Always use re-usable bags at the grocery store
- Compost plant waste
I’m also committing to going back to this post once a month to check progress and allow myself to make changes. A lot can happen in a month, a week, a day, so I’m going to be open to the opportunities and challenges that 2018 will bring.