Ask and you shall receive! I get more requests for a beach waves tutorial than anything else by a long shot, so I am excited to finally share this super easy step by step with Jennie Kay Beauty. This is so easy to replicate at home. Scroll down to see how to get your own gorgeous beachy waves.
1. Start by prepping hair with a shampoo and conditioner that will give your hair some body and texture. My hair is really fine and pretty straight so I love the Sachajuan ocean mist shampoo and conditioner.
2. After drying hair with a blow dryer you can see it has some nice fullness and texture to it. Below are the additional products and tools you’ll need (hairspray, salt spray, volume powder, t3 wand).
You don’t have to use hairspray but if your hair doesn’t hold a curl it can help. You’ll also need a salt spray and a volume spray. This t3 micro wand is the one I use at home and it is in my opinion the best. It has interchangeable attachments, this one is best for beachy waves.
3. Lift hair into two sections and spray the volume powder at the root. Let it sit for about 30 seconds before massaging it in with your fingers.
4. Pin top section of hair up to keep it out of the way so you can start with the bottom section first.
5. Hold the wand upside down (shown above) and wrap the hair around the wand in a downward motion, essentially following the direction of the hair.
6. As you curl sections of the hair (about 2 inches at a time) let them fall naturally as you curl, but don’t touch them while they are still hot. This allows the curl to set.
7. Once you’ve curled all sections the above is how it should look before you loosen them up. You can spray them with a bit of hairspray at this point.
8. Lightly loosen the waves with your fingers at the root so they get a little messy. How messy and beachy you want them to look is up to you. You can use more or less salt spray for added texture.