While many of us are home, for how long we don’t really know, I wanted to share some things to do while we are social distancing. I got really anxious yesterday from too much scrolling and refreshing news stories about Coronavirus. I’m not suggesting we be ignorant or tune out what’s happening, but allow yourself a break. I am focusing on what I CAN control and doing things around my house to be productive (when I have a free second and I’m not caring for a newborn). Here’s some ideas for how to use your time at home, feel free to share in the comments as well I can keep updating this post! Be well, sending my love to all of you. See this post for additional resources on Coronavirus.
Things to Do While Social Distancing at Home
- Clean out and sanitize your makeup – Perfect opportunity to go through your makeup, get rid of anything old and sanitize things like palettes and brushes.
- Organize your wardrobe – Never been a better time to go Marie Kondo on your wardrobe. I wrote a post last year about how to get rid of stuff. It really helps to put everything in one room and go through it so you can see it all.
- Organize your pantry – I went through everything in our pantry before Marin was born and organized our kitchen cabinets and pantry. These baskets from Amazon are great.
- Clean out and organize your bathroom drawers and cabinets. Go through each drawer in your bathroom. Take everything out of your cabinets and drawers, wipe down surfaces, and get rid of anything old or that you don’t use.
No need to go to the gym to get your sweat on. Craig is a huge fan of Yoga with Adriene and it’s totally free. I LOVE Obe Fitness, they have EVERYTHING, and specific classes that cater to prenatal/postpartum as well. Use code JESS30 for 30% off your first month of Obe.
No better time to try new recipes. Get creative and use what you already have (this is also a helpful list of how to stock your pantry). Here are some posts we’ve done on favorite recipes as well as links to new vegan recipes Craig and I have made recently that we love.
- 8 Favorite Soup Recipes
- Favorite Easy Recipes
- Pinterest Recipes I’ve Tried and Loved
- 4 Food Bloggers Share Their Favorite Comfort Food Recipes
- Favorite Instant Pot Recipes
- Homemade Granola
- Iron Boosting Green Juice
You don’t have to buy anything to redecorate. It can be as simple as re-arranging furniture and moving things around in your house. Try moving artwork to a different room or putting it in an unexpected place. Switch up your furniture and how it’s placed throughout your space. If you need inspiration I have tons on this Pinterest board.
Time to get crafty, especially if you’re at home with kids. Studio DIY is a great resource for crafty and fun things to do with kids. Here are some fun projects to try:
- DIY Painted Canvas Tote
- Terracotta Flower Pots
- Cloth Napkins
- Tips for Hanging a Gallery Wall
- Easter Egg Rocks for Kids
- 2 Ingredient Slime for Kids
Raise your hand if you made it a resolution to read more. Whether it’s a good old fashioned book or your kindle, never been a better time to sit down and make time for some reading. Here’s some books I’ve enjoyed recently and some reading lists if you’re looking for more suggestions:
- Little Fires Everywhere
- Such A Fun Age
- The Uninhabitable Earth
- The Great Alone
- Grace Atwood’s Book Suggestions (Grace reads A TON and has so much on her website for recommendations in different genres)
Listen to Podcasts
Podcasts are truly one of my favorite things. There are SO many good ones out there. We’ve compiled a few lists of the ones we love, feel free to share your favorites in the comments and I can keep adding them here.
- The Best Podcasts We’re Listening to Right Now
- Catch & Kill
- We Crashed
- The Joe Rogan Experience
- The Officer’s Wife
Call Family Or A Friend
It can feel lonely and isolating being at home. Check in with family and friends. Facetime or Skype call so you can actually see each other, maybe even do a virtual happy hour or lunch date.
Really happy to share that Headspace is offering FREE meditation through their app as part of a collection called Weathering the Storm. It includes meditations, sleep, and movement exercises to help you out, however you’re feeling.
At Home Spa Day
Treat yourself to some relaxation at home. Put on a hair and/or face mask, give yourself a manicure, light a nice candle and put on some music. Here’s some of my favorite skin and hair treatments right now:
- This face mist smells like a day at the spa
- I love this hair mask it makes my hair so shiny and soft without weighing it down
- This ultra hydrating face mask from Follain is so nice. I’ve been using it a few times a week. My skin always looks amazing afterwards.
Disclosure: if you buy something through my links, I may earn an affiliate commission. Thank you for your support of this blog.